I deeply believe that the Holy Spirit has been moving among us, together for such a time as this. We have been chosen to serve, to love, to witness, and to make disciples in the world. When we
combine our resources, whether they be spiritual gifts, financial contributions, or our shared visions, we amplify the impact of our service to the Reign of God.
Here are some of the many ways that the Presbytery of the James has utilized our shared resources in the past year:
- We have provided scholarships to young leaders to attend leadership development programs.
- We have provided support to three New Worshipping Communities and one immigrant congregation.
- We have supported struggling congregations with resources and consultation to help them discern their future directions.
- We have facilitated partnerships between congregations and presbyteries for shared worship, study, and mission opportunities.
- We have sponsored mission trips to assist those in need, both within our own region and across the world.
- We have responded to natural disasters through our Presbytery’s disaster relief ministry.
These are just a few examples, and they have only been possible because of the generosity and shared commitment of our congregations.
Congregational pledges to the Presbytery are more than financial commitments; they are a testament to faith in the collective power of our covenant community. I urge you to consider the immense blessings that can come from our shared mission, and to prayerfully consider how your congregation can contribute to this sacred work.
Beloved, I leave you with this thought from the Apostle Paul: "Now to him who by the power at work within us is able to accomplish abundantly far more than all we can ask or imagine, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen." (Ephesians 3:20-21)
May God continue to bless you, your congregation, and the Presbytery of the James as we journey together in faith.
Grace and Peace,
Rev. Dr. Floretta Barbee-Watkins
Lead Presbyter for Vision and Collaboration