Trinity Ghanaian Presbyterian Fellowship has organized as Holy Trinity Presbyterian Church, after 12 years as a worshiping community. The process was approved October 16 at the 109th presbytery meeting, with some of the church’s 40 members participating.
“We thank the leadership of the presbytery for their guidance, mentorship, and support in getting us this far,” shared congregation member Kwame Appiah-Yeboah, who presented the petition for organization to the presbytery. “We are ready and willing to partner to further the Lord’s work in Richmond.”
Holy Trinity Church began in October 2009, serving African families who emigrated to Richmond. It became part of the PC(USA)’s 1001 New Worshiping Communities initiative, which raises up leaders in churches and presbyteries inspired by God to create new congregations, particularly those reflecting new and varied forms of church for our changing culture. Participation includes financial support and coaching to help the new groups succeed and grow.
For building space, the fellowship partners with other congregations in the presbytery, currently Tuckahoe Church and previously Three Chopt Church. Rev. Dr. Willie Woodson, who had retired from First United Church after 26 years, became the fellowship’s pastor. It was a dream of Woodson and the Trinity Ghanaian Fellowship family to eventually organize as a church.
In 2019, the Presbyterian Mission Agency awarded Trinity Ghanaian Fellowship a $25,000 grant to promote its growth and development.
In December 2020, Woodson passed away suddenly. To commemorate and honor Woodson’s leadership, members of the church began the process of organizing.
“We rejoice in their calling,” shared Rev. Fred Holbrook, interim general presbyter. “They love Jesus Christ and want to share that love with others, not only those who trace their roots to Ghana, but to anyone whom they meet.”
“We pray that God will help us all as we work together to serve Jesus Christ through the love and power of the Holy Spirit.”