Presbytery of the James met virtually on January 25, 2022. Some of the meeting leaders were hosted by Westminster Church, Richmond. Moderator Dan Jordanger, a ruling elder from Providence Gum Spring, called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. and led the presbytery in prayer.
Interim General Presbyter and Stated Clerk Fred Holbrook introduced Warren Lesane, Synod of the Mid-Atlantic executive and stated clerk, as a corresponding member from Presbytery of Charlotte.
Teaching Elder Mary Newbern-Williams, covenant pastor at First United Church, led the presbytery in worship.
Kenna Payne, moderator of the Mission Council, presented the agenda, which was approved.
The business of the day was comprised of the following:
- Conducted the final step of the examination process for three candidates for ministry of the Word and Sacrament:
- Michelle Abel (Presbytery of the Peaks) to serve as interim associate paster of the Presbyterian Church in Fredericksburg
- Calvin Sydnor IV (Presbytery of Eastern Virginia) to be co-covenant pastor of Grace Covenant Church in Richmond
- Joanna Sydnor (Presbytery of Eastern Virginia) to be co-covenant pastor of Grace Covenant Church in Richmond
- Approved the three candidates for ordination to ministry of the Word and Sacrament. Moderator Jordanger led the presbytery in prayer.
- Elected one commissioner, two alternates, and one young adult advisory delegate for the 225th General Assembly (2022) of the P.C.(U.S.A.) and one member for the Commission on Ministry.
Moderator Jordanger declared the called meeting adjourned at 8:15 p.m. and led the presbytery in prayer.
In Christ’s Service,
Rev. Fred A. Holbrook
Interim General Presbyter and Stated Clerk