The called meeting of the Presbytery of the James was hosted virtually by Ginter Park Church in Richmond and Tuckahoe Church in Richmond. Ruling Elder Leigh Anne Ring (Salisbury), moderator, called the meeting to order at 9:30 a.m. and led the presbytery in prayer.
The moderator welcomed ministers, educators, first-time ruling elder commissioners, corresponding members, and guests.
Some of the highlights of the meeting included:
Moderator Ring led the presbytery in a morning meditation. Praise music was offered by Doug Brown and the Union Presbyterian Seminary choir.
The agenda was approved. The business of the day was comprised of the following:
- Received a presentation made by the Dismantling Racism Ministry. Presenters for the ministry were Rosalind Banbury (Member at Large), Ruling Elder Peggy Fox (Woodville), Rev. Mary Johns (HR), Danita Green (Coming to the Table RVA), Rev. Darren Utley (Fairfield), Ruling Elder Melissa Phillips (Salisbury), Ruling Elder Wendy Steeves (Blue Ridge), Ruling Elder George Jennison (Richmond First), Ruling Elder Betty King (Three Chopt), Rev. Charlie Summers (HR), Rev. Amy Starr Redwine (Richmond First), and Jo Booker (Faith Community Baptist Church, Coming to the Table RVA).
- Approved the recommendation presented by Rev. Denise Hall (HR), moderator of the Committee on Nominations, that Ruling Elder John Colby (Tappahannock) be elected to serve on the Mission and Service Team.
- Heard the report from the Committee on Ministry presented by Rev. Karen Witt (Providence Gum Spring), moderator of the Examinations
- Candidate Wilson Kennedy (Presbytery of New Hope) was examined for ordination to serve as covenant pastor at Richmond First. After preaching a sermon entitled “Far Be It” based on Genesis 18:22-23, he answered questions about the four topics covered by the denomination’s ordination exams: Bible, Theology, Worship & Sacraments, and Polity. Then Wilson answered questions from the floor. The presbytery sustained his examination in its entirety, including the sermon, and approved him for ordination as a minister of the Word and Sacrament. Rev. Amy Starr Redwine (Richmond First) led the presbytery in prayer.
- Ruling Elder Peggy Fox (Woodville) and Ruling Elder William Seay (Providence Gum Spring) were presented by Rev. Witt and were approved to be commissioned as commissioned pastors in the Woodville and Genito Churches, respectively. Moderator Ring led a brief Service of Commissioning including the constitutional questions (Book of Order W-4.0404). Rev. Witt led the presbytery in prayer for the blessing of God on Peggy and William.
- Received as a first reading the report from the Strategic Planning Team presented by Ruling Elder Jen Rowe (The Presbyterian Church Fredericksburg). A slide presentation including video testimonials from members of the team was shared. The presentation in its entirety is available on the Strategic Planning Team page. Jen shared that listening and feedback sessions will be held January 4-8, 2021 and January 11-15, 2021 via Zoom and audio conferencing.
Having completed the business of the called meeting, Moderator Ring reminded commissioners of the stated meeting of the POJ on February 20, 2021. The first meeting of 2021 was to be hosted by Second Church Richmond but it will be held virtually. She declared the meeting adjourned at 1:15 p.m. and led the presbytery in prayer.
In Christ’s Service,
Rev. Fred A. Holbrook
Interim General Presbyter and Stated Clerk
February 20, 2021
107th Stated Meeting