Being prepared is one of the most important steps we can take in making our churches safe and hospitable places for everyone. The Presbytery of James has invited Presbyterian Disaster Assistance to lead a training on church safety that will cover situations of an active shooter, fire, and other disasters. Although the likelihood of any of these situations is low, it is important that we know how to prevent these situations when we can and take care of one another if something does happen.
Included in this training:
- Look at data on actual risk of armed intruders at faith-based institutions.
- Increased risk to churches from hate groups opposed to social justice ministries.
- Security role of ushers and greeters.
- ALICE Training Institute strategies and drill for surviving violent intruder situations.
- Preventing mass shootings with threat assessments and mental health counseling.
- Basics of “Stop the Bleed” first aid training.
- Creating a preparedness/security committee and developing a plan for your church.
March 9, 2024
9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
6930 Cold Harbor Rd
Mechanicsville, VA 23111
$15 per person
Registration is open through March 4.
More Information About This Event
The building is accessbile.
Childcare is not available for this event.
Registration includes a boxed lunch. Please indicate your dietary preferences in the registration form where prompted.
The Presbytery of the James posts pictures and videos of various events online and in printed materials. Please be aware that you may be photographed.